How to Choose an Auto Repair Shop
It can definitely be stressful when something goes wrong with your car. Whether it’s engine problems or dent removal after a car accident, you want to get your car fixed right at a fair price.
How do you choose the right auto repair shop though? Every town has plenty of places to get your car fixed but it can be tough to find a mechanic you can trust. We’ve all heard horror stories about unethical auto shops. Some of us have unfortunately experienced it too.
In this post, we review tips to help you find a good mechanic for your car.
Tips for finding the right auto repair shop
- Ask your friends. When it’s time to spend money on repairs, there’s nothing like a referral from a good friend who has experience with the auto shop. A lot of repair shops get by entirely on referrals. Their work is of such high quality, their word-of-mouth is enough to generate new customers.
- Choose a repair shop with ASE-certified technicians. The credentials and affiliations awarded to a shop and its employees help show they are professional, well trained and “on the level. Everyone in our shop has ASE, ICAR or Manufacturer training in their personal area of operation within our system of restoring your vehicle to pre-accident condition. (Read: Why Choose Us?)
- Choose a repair shop that is clean and well organized. Cleanliness and organization are signs of a well-run business. It’s not hard to look at the outside of a business and start to gain an impression of how the place is run. Is the waiting room clean and inviting or a dirty afterthought? It helps demonstrate their commitment to quality.
- See how they treat customers. Are customers greeted in a friendly manner? Are they treated with respect? Do the people that work there seem to enjoy their jobs or hate being there? Sometimes a phone call to the repair shop will show you all you need to know about how they treat customers.
- Make sure the give written estimates. Sure there are businesses you may trust with a verbal estimate and a handshake, but when it’s your first time dealing with the business, you want to get their quote in writing. They should give you a written estimate and request your signature before they do any repairs on your car.
- See if they offer warranties. Most auto repair businesses stand behind their work and will offer you a warranty on parts and labor.
- Shop around before an emergency. Don’t wait until you’re in a tough spot and are forced to take your car to the closest shop. Ask your friends and do your research ahead of time and lower your stress and the chances you’ll pick the wrong mechanic.
Need a mechanic you can trust?
Probst Collision is the top auto body repair shop in New Lenox, IL. We provide collision repair, dent removal, mechanical repair, airbag replacement, and auto body painting in the local area to customers from New Lenox, Joliet, Mokena, Frankfort, Manhattan and other southwest Chicagoland cities. Contact us or get an online estimate.