Tips for Avoiding Winter Collisions
When harsh winter weather arrives in northern Illinois, car accidents and vehicle collisions begin to rise.
Even though this will keep our auto body repair shop busy, we don’t really like all these accidents. Many collisions result only in dents to be repaired but any car accident puts people in danger and can cause serious injuries.
Accidents happen but often they can be avoided. We’ll share some tips for avoiding winter car accidents.
Illinois is ranked #7 in the nation for winter car accidents by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. (Ohio is #1 with Pennsylvania close behind.) That’s not really a top ten we want to be in but we hope it reminds you that winter collisions are a real threat in our state.
In Illinois, the average cost of a winter collision repair is $2,600. Slow down to save lives – and money.
Avoiding winter collision tips
- Slow down when weather conditions are wet, cold or snowy.
- Leave extra space between you and the car in front of you.
- Avoid distractions: phone, playing with the radio, eating in the car.
- Replace your windshield wiper blades to improve visibility.
- Replace your tires if their treads are worn.
- Make sure your tire pressure is at the recommended level.
- Don’t overreact if you start to skid.
- Accelerate/decelerate slowly and try to avoid braking abruptly.
- Don’t underestimate slipperiness of the roads.
- Beware ice on bridges, underpasses, low areas or shaded areas and intersections.
- If you’ve been in a minor accident or your car stalls, pull over and stay in your vehicle.
- Watch for deer in rural areas, especially in November and December.
Most common times for winter car accidents
The most common times for deadly winter car accidents were around 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Most common day of week for winter car accidents
Saturday, by far, is the most common day to get into a deadly accident. Friday is a close second.
Most common causes winter car accidents
The most common causes of car accidents in winter aren’t really any different than any other time of the year: distracted driving, excessive speeding, and tailgating.
All three of these common causes of accidents are preventable!
When the snow is falling, put away your phone, slow down for conditions and leave extra room between you and the car in front of you.
Bonus tip: Put away your phone, don’t speed and don’t tailgate all year long and you will be less at risk for accidents.
Need your car repaired after an accident?
Probst Collision is the top auto body repair shop in New Lenox, IL. Serving the local area including Joliet, Mokena, Frankfort, Manhattan, Chicago and the southwest Chicago suburbs.